Sunday, April 4, 2010

Tri-Color Potato Salad

I think that it is fairly safe to say that most people consider potato salad to be a summer food. After all, it's usually served cold with barbecue. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. I love potato salad though, and after a long winter (well So Cal winter) without it, I decided enough was enough.

Actually, that isn't entirely true. See, the restaurant I work at has an amazing Sirloin Steak Salad. Its steak with warm potato salad, spinach, and crispy onions. And I've become addicted to the aforementioned potato salad. I beg the cooks to sneak me bites of it. I'm usually not successful. Last Friday, there was nothing I wanted more than the potato salad. I was willing to buy it even... but it has bacon, and given it is was still Lent, I was thwarted. Until I came home and made some myself.





Its easy! Its delicious! It's almost kind of healthy! Its perfect for the middle of winter because it is served warm! But it tastes great cold! Step right up and see the amazing potato salad!

I would have posted this sooner, but when I went back to remember what all I put in it, it was gone. My Aunt and her friend ate it all in about 30 seconds. According to my mom they were "jonesing for it". And I had mid-terms last week and they decided that I needed my ass handed to me on a silver platter.


Warm Potato Salad

I used tri-color potatoes but any waxy potato will work. If you eat meat, bacon can be used in place of the mushrooms. No matter what you use though, it is delicious topped with fried onions (like the ones in the can that go on top of green bean casserole). Final note: I think when it comes to potato salad everyone likes theirs different. This is a rough estimate of the amounts I used. Nothing in this is set in stone because I estimated everything.

1 pound waxy potatoes cut into bite size pieces
8 oz green beans (I used haricot vert)
4 hard boiled eggs sliced
2 ribs celery sliced
1/2 sweet or red onion, diced
8 oz mushrooms sliced or 4 oz bacon
1/3 cup mayo
1 heaping tbsp Dijon mustard
1-2 tbsp pickle juice (I used dill)
salt and pepper
olive oil

In a skillet over medium high heat brown mushrooms in enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan (or cook your bacon). Meanwhile, place potatoes and heavy pinch of salt in a sauce pan. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook until a fork goes into the potato with a little bit of resistance (1-2 minutes before the potato is actually done). Add the green beans to the boiling water and cook for 1-2 minutes, until both the green beans and potatoes are done. Drain, and transfer to a large bowl. Add the mushrooms and all remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Taste and adjust to suit your personal preference. Serve hot.

4 comments:

  1. Wow thankyou for posting this prized recipe! It does sound wonderful and I like the addition of the boiled eggs too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh, what good memories this brings back! The first time I had warm potato salad was in Denmark while visiting rellies. Delish! I really like the addition of haricot verts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely salad. I like the use of eggs in salads. Have a nice evening!

    Nisrine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your salad looks absolutely beautiful! I'm an OC food blogger too! Love your blog

    ReplyDelete