Monday, January 25, 2010

Spinach Mushroom Benedict



(So I finally think I have a decent picture and what do I find? A string egg goo that is not very appealing. Go me.)
 
In the 6 months I attended culinary school I honestly didn't learn that much. I can make stock and attempt to name the mother sauces and break down a piece of meat. I might be able to fillet a fish on a good day. While a lot of these are skills that I almost never use, I did actually employ one today for breakfast. I woke up with a craving for what the most perfect, rich, sinful sauce in all the land. Composed of 2 different fats and occasionally temprimental this is not a sauce for the faint of heart. The sauce in question is of course Hollandaise. But since once can not live on sauce alone, brown some mushrooms in butter with a 1/4 teaspoon of thyme. Poach some eggs (I figure 2 per person). Saute some spinach. Semi-artfully arrange on a plate and pour on the hollandaise sauce.

This came together pretty easily and is definitely hearty enough (for me at least) to be served as an entree at dinner. Too bad I can only get away with it when my dad is out of town.

Hollandaise Sauce

This is the way I learned how to do it at school. I know you can use a blender. I just don't. There also aren't any exact measurements because its based on proportions. I always use at least 2 yolks when making hollandaise but I suppose you could make one. But why would you do that?

The proportions are:

1 yolk: 1-2 TBSP melted butter
Tabasco sauce (couple shakes)
Salt and pepper
Fresh lemon juice (just a small squeeze people)

To Make:
Take a kitchen towel and shape it into a donut. When you need to whisk off the heat set the bowl on this and it won't spin on you. Or get out ye old silpat and set the bowl on there.

Get out your double boiler. Off the heat whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice and Tabasco together.

Move to heat and whisk constantly until the yolks begin to thicken. This usually takes about 4 minutes. When the whisk begins to leave a visible path in the yolks, aka you can see the bottom of the bowl for a few seconds after every stroke, pull it off the heat.

Slowly drizzle in the butter while whisking constantly. You might not use all the butter just get the sauce to a consistency you like. Add salt and pepper (or any other spices you can think of. Old Bay is really good). Serve warm over everything.

Note: This sauce can be used as the base for a number of sauces, including bernaise sauce which is crazy good on burgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment